Monday, March 19, 2012

Shooting Stars by Allsion Rushby

Title: Shooting Stars
Author: Allsion Rushby
Publisher: Walker
Publication Date: February 28, 2012
Source: Thanks Netgalley and Walker!
Add to your shelves 


Summary: Meet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she’s called in the biz. The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn't mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she’s sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett—teen superstar and the only celebrity who’s ever been kind to her—at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. The money will be enough to pay for Jo’s dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. Everyone wants to know what Ned’s in for. But Jo certainly doesn’t know what she’s in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment. 

Review: Shooting Stars is such a fun book. One that tells the tale of a young paparazzo, named Jo, and it was pretty fantastic!

Jo immediately wins you over with her voice but actually connecting to her was the problem with me. It wasn't that I didn't like Jo because I really did and I appreciated how she grew during the course of the novel. The main problem was that I just couldn't connect or relate with her. I just seem to be having this awful problem lately. It's probably just me though, Jo was an awesome girl and I did end up growing to like her a lot!

A ton of Hollywood/LA books are cliched and filled to the brim with brand names. Thankfully, Shooting Stars has none of that. It fact the realness of the Paparazzi was fantastic. In fact the story doesn't take place much in LA, it's in a retreat in Boston.

Another thing that I loved about this book was the supporting characters! Now they were the ones that I loved. There was just something special about all the kids that were at the retreat with Jo, where she was taking pictures of a star. I especially loved Ned! Seth and Katrina were really fun, as well.

Rushby does a great job with surprising you in Shooting Stars. There was just so many surprising things that went on during the course of the book. Most I didn't see coming what so ever. It was just very refreshing.

Shooting Stars is a sweet story filled with tons of funny moments and great characters. Rushby takes the idea of the paparazzi and turns it into something new and unique. If you're in the mood for something light and unique pick this one up!

Rating:

4 comments:

Katie (The Literary Files) said...

I love a book with awesome supporting characters and I really want to read about this Ned guy too! When I'm in the mood for a funny and unique read I'll definitely pick this one up, thank you! :)

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

I liked this one, too! A little disappointed in her dad being such a neglectful parent but otherwise a cute story.

Anonymous said...

READ IT

Lisa said...

Katie, it's not just you. I have been having trouble connecting to the characters lately too. I thought I was just going through a weird stage in reading or something.

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! They make my day! Thanks for stopping by. This is an award free blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater